This guide is full of tips, recipes, puzzles and sample exercises to make being healthy and active fun. Some of the challenges that can lessen our independence as we age include difficulties with movement, isolation, loneliness, and financial strain.
While we can’t avoid some barriers to independence, we can look for ways to increase opportunities for positive ageing.
A snapshot of the guide:
It’s ok to need help along the way
We’re social creatures and as you age, you don’t have to do everything on your own. While ageing can sometimes make independent living difficult, small supports such as getting help around the house, social activities, and wellness programs, can help you maintain independence in your own home.
Here are some benefits that health and wellbeing activities bring:
- Reduce the risk of adverse events, such as experiencing a major fall
- Improve your nutrition and diet for long term health
- Address chronic diseases you may be dealing with
- Improve your mental health and overall wellbeing
- Avoid early entry into an aged care home
- Increase your opportunity to socialise, which reduces isolation
- Helps you enjoy the quality of life as you age
Tips and strategies to promote positive ageing
- Get active and healthy: everyday movement helps older adults to live independent and fulfilling lives. Why not try chair yoga?
- Healthy eating: nourishing your body with healthy and delicious food is a great way to look after your health. Try being creative in the kitchen with some simple and nutritious recipes
- Workouts for your brain: having a sharp and active mind improves overall wellbeing. Crossword puzzles, brain games, reading and writing are all great activities for mental stimulation
- Stay connected: staying connected with others and being part of a community is an important part of health and wellbeing
- Prioritise sleep: sleep is important for your physical and emotional health as it helps improve your concentration, allows your body to repair any cell damage that occurred during the day, and refreshes your immune system, which in turn helps to prevent disease.
Where to go for help
Ageing is a part of life; there is no escaping it. But LiveBetter’s approach to growing older makes all the difference. The more you invest in yourself, the better your health outcomes will be – and the more you’ll enjoy life.
To help you age well we offer a range of aged care services that nurture your physical, social, and mental wellbeing, while helping you live at home for longer.
Our aged care services:
- Home Care Services
- Short Term Care
- Out of Hospital Care
- Social Support Programs