Navigate Aged Care

Do you need a helping hand with daily living, but aren't sure where to start?

Navigating Aged Care

Government-funded aged care services helps seniors with the everyday things – from housework and personal care, to meal preparation and doing exercise that you enjoy.

If you've never accessed aged care services before, navigating the system can feel overwhelming. Like with most things, though, it's all about taking that first step.

We're here to help you

How do I receive aged care help?

If you’re ready to start exploring government-funded aged care support, My Aged Care’s website or phone line is the place to begin.

My Aged Care helps older Australians and their families get the support they need. It provides information on the different types of services available – including how much you may need to pay for your care – and puts you in touch with aged care support services in your area.

My Aged Care is also the starting point for your assessment process. An assessment is a way of working out whether you are eligible to receive government-funded services.

You may be eligible if:

  • You are 65 years or older (50 years for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people)
  • You have a diagnosed medical condition that reduces your mobility
  • You have noticed a change in what you can do or remember
  • You have experienced a recent fall or hospital admission
  • Your family care arrangements have changed

Being assessed can seem daunting, but there are clear and easy steps to follow. We can also talk you through the process, if you’d like some help before you begin.

What aged care options are available to me?

There are several government-funded aged care services that can help you live independently and enjoy quality of life. These include:

Help at home – if you find it hard to do the things you used to, home care can help with tasks like cleaning, showering, travelling to appointments or taking care of your pet.

Short-term care – this is care for a limited period of time, such as after a hospital stay. Respite care is also available if your carer needs a break or has other commitments.

Living in an aged care home – if you think you can no longer live at home, even with support, you may want to consider moving into an aged care home. Please note that this type of care is not available at LiveBetter.

How much does aged care cost?

The Australian government subsidises the cost of aged care to make it more affordable for everyone.

You are expected to contribute to the cost of your services, if you can afford to. This amount varies depending on your financial situation, the type of care you receive, and the aged care provider you choose.

How do I choose an aged care provider?

Aged care is all about receiving support that’s right for your needs.

You have choice and control over the way you are supported. Aged care providers deliver their services differently and charge different amounts. It’s worth doing a bit of research, so you can choose a provider that you’re truly happy with.

Choosing LiveBetter as your aged care provider

LiveBetter provides high quality aged care services to regional Australians in QLD and NSW.

Your needs are unique, so your care should be too. We’ll work with you to develop an aged care team that you are comfortable with: experienced locals who take the time to listen, and put you at the centre of their care.

When it comes to price, LiveBetter is one of the most competitive providers on the market. And we’re not-for-profit, which means our focus is on your satisfaction with our service, not the bottom line.

Can someone represent me in the aged care process?

Yes, you don’t have to go through the process or make aged care decisions alone.

If you or your loved one needs aged support, it can be helpful – and sometimes necessary – to appoint a representative to act on your behalf when dealing with My Aged Care. The representative could be a family member, friend or carer.

Can I receive services through the Department of Veterans’ Affairs?

If you have a Veteran Gold Card or White Card, you may be eligible for Veterans Home Care (VHC). This is a small amount of support that includes things like housework, personal care, gardening and respite. It is accessed through the Department of Veterans’ Affairs, and is separate to My Aged Care.

I’d like help with the aged care process

We’re more than happy to answer your questions and help you take your first aged care steps. Call us to chat to someone or enquire online.

To contact My Aged Care or to start your My Aged Care registration, visit the website or call 1800 200 422.

Aged Care enquiry
 - Complete the form and we'll call you back!
NDIS & Disability enquiry
 - Complete the form and we'll call you back!
Other Services enquiry
 - Complete the form and we'll call you back!