Aged Care Glossary

We've put together a list of commonly used terms related to Aged Care. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Aged Care
If you are an older person living in Australia then you may receive in home or residential care. This is personal and/or nursing care to support you to stay as independent and healthy as you can be. These services can also assist you if you’re caring for someone older.

Aged Care Act 1997
The Aged Care Act 1997 is the Commonwealth legislation that allows government funding to be provided for aged care services for older Australians.

Aged Care Assessment
When the My Aged Care department is evaluating your needs and eligibility, they may visit you to conduct a comprehensive face-to-face assessment.

Aged Care Assessment Team
When you are applying for a subsidised in-home care package, a team of health professionals, known as an Aged Care Assessment Team will visit you to conduct a comprehensive assessment. They will decide if you require a Home Care Package, short-term care or an aged care home.

Aged Care Client Record
Your Aged Care Client Record (ACCR) is the form completed by the Aged Care Assessment Team following your assessment. In includes information about your assessment and approval for you to receive a Home Care Package, short-term care or move into an aged care home.

Aged care service
Aged care services are services that are designed to help you stay as independent as you can. You may be eligible to receive a subsidy from the Commonwealth Government to help cover the cost of aged care services, either through a Home Care Package or via the Commonwealth Home Support Programme.

Aged Care Quality and Safety Commission (Commission)
An Australian Government statutory agency established under the Aged Care Act 1997 to ensure Australians receiving Australian Government subsidised aged care services receive a high quality of care.

Allied health support
If you have a minor health condition, allied health support services can assist you with services such as physiotherapy, speech pathology, occupational therapy, podiatry, nutrition and diet and exercise physiology.

Approved provider
An approved provider is an organisation that has been approved to provide residential care, home care or flexible care under the Aged Care Act 1997. LiveBetter is an approved provider. 

A carer is someone who provides care or support to a person, but they are unpaid. Carers are often family members or guardians.

Charter of Aged Care Rights
If you are receiving a service as an aged care consumer, you have rights and responsibilities. These are outlined under the Aged Care Act 1997 and are called the Charter of Aged Care Rights. 

Client Record
When your contact the My Aged Care about access to aged care services, a contact centre staff member will create your Client Record. The client record will include your details (and carer or representative details), details about assessments and support plan, and information about service(s) received.

Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP)
The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) is a government-funded service that provides low level support for everyday life.

Consumer Directed Care (CDC)
Consumer Directed Care recognises your rights to have control over the way in which you receive services. This gives you more flexibility when it comes to deciding on the care and support that best meet your personal needs, goals, and preferences.

A guardian is a person entrusted by law to make decisions on behalf of another person who may be unable to make them for themselves.

Home Care Packages
A Home Care Package is for people with higher care needs than what the Commonwealth Home Support Programme can provide. It is a mixed ‘package’ of government-funded supports that, put together, help you live independently at home.

Home Care Package services can include things like help with taking a shower, medication management, physiotherapy, social activities, meal preparation, housework and access to equipment and aids that make your life easier.

Home maintenance
To help make your home safer and more secure, Home Maintenance services can assist you with tasks such as changing light bulbs, emergency alarm maintenance, minor repairs like replacing tap washers, major repairs including carpentry, painting and roof repairs as well as help in the garden with lawn mowing and rubbish removal.

Home and Yard Maintenance
Home and Yard Maintenance helps you maintain – and if needed, modify – your home so it continues to meet your needs as you grow older. 

Income-tested care fee for Home Care Packages
Depending on your income, you may be required to contribute to the cost of your Home Care Package. This is assessed by the Department of Human Services.

My Aged Care
My Aged Care is a website ( and contact centre (1800 200 422) established by the Australian Government to help you navigate the aged care system by providing information to you, a family member, friend or someone you are caring for.  

My Aged Care Regional Assessment Service (RAS)
If you require entry level aged care services provided under the Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP), a member of the My Aged Care Regional Assessment Service will meet with you in your home to conduct a face-to-face assessment in order evaluate your needs and determine which services you may benefit from. 

National Home Care Queue (National Queue)
If you are eligible to receive a Home Care Package, you will be placed in the National Home Care Queue. Your place in the queue is determined by your ACAT assessment and factors such as your level of need, how long you’ve been waiting and the availability of a package at the level you need.

Personal care
Personal Care is all about helping you look after yourself, so you can continue to live independently at home.

If your needs or circumstances change significantly you may be re-assessed to identify any changes required to your existing support plan.

Referral code
My Aged Care may provide you with referral codes that represent individual services recommended for you. You can refer to these codes when you are evaluating providers such as LiveBetter.

Residential care
Residential care is care provided in a residential facility or aged care home to people who can no longer continue to live at home. 

Respite care
Respite (also known as short term care) gives carers a short break. This break may be to attend to everyday activities, or it may be due to illness, work commitments, or emergencies. Respite care can be at home, centre based of overnight. 

Service provider
A service provider is an organisation, such as LiveBetter, that receives funding in order to provide aged care services to older people.

Social support
Social support services can help prevent feelings of loneliness and isolation by helping you maintain an active social life via home visits, help with shopping and access to recreational activities and support groups in the community.

Aged Care enquiry
 - Complete the form and we'll call you back!
NDIS & Disability enquiry
 - Complete the form and we'll call you back!
Other Services enquiry
 - Complete the form and we'll call you back!