Aged Care FAQs

Our FAQ section is here to help. If you can't find what you're looking for, we're always happy to have a chat.


My Aged Care is your starting point for accessing government-funded aged care services. It can help you:

- find out what types of aged care are available
- apply for an assessment to work out what services you are eligible for
- find service providers near you
- understand the costs involved in your care
- manage your services once you start receiving them

You can access My Aged Care by visiting their website or calling 1800 200 422.
Yes, help with My Aged Care is always available. If you're not sure where to start, LiveBetter's aged care experts can guide you through the process. For assistance, call us on 1800 580 580.
Eligibility for aged care depends on your health, how you're managing at home and what supports you currently receive. You also need to be 65 years or older (50 years or older for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people) to qualify for government-funded aged care.

To find out if you are eligible, you need to have an assessment with My Aged Care. You can start the process on the My Aged Care website or call 1800 200 422.
The first step is to apply for a face-to-face assessment with My Aged Care. You can do this online through the My Aged Care website or by calling 1800 200 422.

Visit our Getting Started page to view a step-by-step guide on how to apply for aged care funding.
Yes, you don't have to go through the process alone. You can choose someone – for example, a family member, friend or carer – to be you're my Aged Care representative.

A representative can do things on your behalf, such as communicate with My Aged Care assessors and service providers; make decisions about aged care assessments and service referrals; and update your personal information.

To register someone as your representative, simply make sure they are present the first time you contact My Aged Care.
RAS stands for 'Regional Assessment Service' and ACAT stands for 'Aged Care Assessment Team'. Both organisations conduct face-to-face assessments for people interested in government-funded aged care services. Where they differ is the level of care they assess people for.

An RAS assessor will visit you for an assessment if you only need a small amount of support to live independently at home. After talking to you about your situation, they will decide if you are eligible for the Commonwealth Home Support Programme.

If you need a higher level of support or more regular care, an ACAT assessor will visit you to conduct a comprehensive assessment. They will decide if you require a Home Care Package, short-term care or an aged care home.
The Commonwealth Home Support Programme (CHSP) is for people who can manage well at home, but need support with a few tasks such as transport, meal preparation, shopping, chores or repairing things around the home.

A Home Care Package is for people with higher care needs than what the CHSP can provide. It is a mixed 'package' of government-funded supports that, put together, help you live independently at home.

Home Care Package services can include things like help with taking a shower, medication management, physiotherapy, social activities, meal preparation, housework and access to equipment and aids that make your life easier.
You can track the progress of your application or assessment by calling My Aged Care on 1800 200 422.

You can also check for yourself online. When you apply for an assessment, you can set up a My Aged Care Online Account which lets you view your client record and see how your application or assessment is progressing. To do this, log into your myGov account and add 'My Aged Care' as a service. Here is more detailed information on how to do this.
LiveBetter provides high quality aged care to regional communities across Queensland and New South Wales. To see if we provide services in your area, please use our service finder tool.


The cost of aged care varies from person to person. It depends on the type of care you receive, the aged care provider you choose, and your financial situation.

The Australian Government subsidises aged care services to make it more affordable for everyone. If you can afford to, you are asked to contribute to the cost of your care.
To find out the cost of LiveBetter's aged care services, please visit our Pricing Information page.
LiveBetter does not charge basic daily fees or exit fees on any of its home care services. This includes Home Care Packages, Commonwealth Home Support Programme and Veterans Home Care.

If you have been allocated a Home Care Package, the government may expect you to contribute to the cost of your package, depending on your financial situation. This is called an income-tested care fee. The amount you pay is determined through an income assessment.
Some aged care costs are based on your financial situation. If you are allocated a Home Care Package, you may have to pay an income-tested care fee, which is a contribution based on your individual income.

To work out the exact amount that you are expected to pay, you need to complete an income assessment. This assessment is conducted by Services Australia and is based on your individual income only.

We recommend that you complete your income assessment after you have been approved for a Home Care Package, while you are waiting for one to be allocated to you.
No, not everyone has to complete an income assessment for a Home Care Package.

To find out if you need to complete one, fill in the My Aged Care income and means assessment questionnaire.
Comparing prices for different service providers is a good idea, so you can choose one whose fees you are happy with.

For Home Care Packages, you can compare prices for up to three providers at a time by using My Aged Care's Find a Provider tool.


LiveBetter provides monthly statements to our customers with Home Care Packages and self-funded services.

Each statement shows how much money came in, and how much was spent on each type of service or fee. We can send this statement to a family member or friend, if you prefer.

We do not send monthly statements for the Commonwealth Home Support Programme.
If you're not eligible for government-funded aged care but would still like support, we can help.

LiveBetter's home care services are available with or without government funding.

We can work with you to plan a unique package of services that meets your needs and suits your budget. It's a great way to stay independent and healthy! To chat about what support you would like, please get in touch.
Yes, LiveBetter can assist if you are waiting for a Home Care Package to be allocated, but need care urgently.

To access immediate services while you are waiting, you may want to purchase home care services privately from us.

We can also help you apply for interim funding, such as the Commonwealth Home Support Programme. Give us a call on 1800 580 580 to discuss your situation.
The number of hours you receive in your Home Care Package depends on your needs. This is one of the things we will discuss in your care planning meeting with the LiveBetter team.

Here is an indication of the number of care hours you may receive through your Home Care Package with LiveBetter:

- Level 1: 1 to 2 hours per week
- Level 2: 2 to 4 hours per week
- Level 3: 4 to 8 hours per week
- Level 4: 8 to 12 hours per week
We'd love to partner with you on your aged care journey. Here are the steps for switching to LiveBetter as your service provider.

1. Call My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 and tell them you are changing providers. You will be provided with a referral code.
2. When you have your referral code, call LiveBetter on 1800 580 580.
3. Agree on an end date with your current provider.
4. Tell LiveBetter the agreed end date with your current provider and when you would like to start your services. We will arrange for your services to start on that date.

If you need assistance, call us on 1800 580 580 and we can help you make a smooth switch to LiveBetter.

Jump to...

Aged Care enquiry
 - Complete the form and we'll call you back!
NDIS & Disability enquiry
 - Complete the form and we'll call you back!
Other Services enquiry
 - Complete the form and we'll call you back!