Mother’s Day is a day that can bring up mixed emotions for many people. For some, it’s a chance to spoil their mum, with kind words, a gift, or some quality time spent together. For others, it can signal a time of sadness, or grief for a mother lost, or absent. In these situations, it’s important to be kind to yourself. Take the time for some self-care, perhaps focus on remembering good times, and say a quiet thank you in your mind.
Mother figures come in various forms, and their presence and influence can have a profound impact on our lives. They may be our Biological Mother, a Stepmother, Adoptive or Foster Mother, Grandmother, guardian, or carer. A Mentor, friend, or even an older sibling can take on the role. What’s important is to recognise the love, care, and influence these figures provide in our lives, regardless of their biological or legal connections.
Whoever the mum in your life is, there are many ways you can show her your appreciation this Mother’s Day and it doesn’t have to break the bank. Often the best way to show your love is through thoughtful, heartfelt gestures. Even a simple phone call can make a person’s day.
You could also:
- Write her a letter: Take the time to write a heartfelt message expressing your love and gratitude. Share those thoughts and memories that you hold close to your heart.
- Spend quality time together: Plan a special day or even a few hours to spend quality time with your mother. Head out for a nice meal or coffee, go for a walk in the park, watch a movie together or play a board game.
- Make her breakfast in bed – an all-time favourite! Give her a great start to her day with a homemade breakfast served in bed. Some easy ideas include fluffy pancakes with fresh fruit and maple syrup, scrambled eggs with smoked salmon and avocado, or delicious French toast topped with powdered sugar, bacon, or berries.
- Tap into your creative side and make her a personalised gift: It could be a photo album, a scrapbook, a piece of artwork, or a handmade card. The effort and personal touch will make it a treasured keepsake.
- Pamper her with a DIY Spa Day: light some candles, run a bath, add some bubbles, and voila! Time to relax.
- Help with chores and tasks: Offer to clean the house, do the laundry, cook a meal, or take care of any responsibilities that usually fall on her shoulders.
- Simply express your love: The most powerful way to show you care is by saying, “I love you” and “Thank you.” Sometimes heartfelt words are the most precious gift.
It’s all about showing you care.
Of course, flowers never go unwanted!