Carer Gateway helps young carers
You may not see yourself as a young carer, but if you are aged 25 or under and look after a loved one or friend with disability, medical condition, mental illness or who is frail due to age – then yes, you are a young carer.
Being a young carer means sometimes you’re likely to need a little care too. Carer Gateway may be able to help.
Popular supports for young carers
Support while studying
Young Carer Peer Support Groups
Carer Coaching Services
Young Carer Camps
How Carer Gateway works
Carer Gateway is a free service for carers of all ages.
There are many supports available to help you in your young caring role including help and advice, counselling, support to get and manage carer payments, planning for the future and more.
We also offer fun activities for young carers, like camps, social outings and after school activities.
If you’re interested, the process is easy:
- Visit the Carer Gateway website to see what services might help you.
- Call 1800 422 737 to register (Mon – Fri, 8am – 5pm).
- Start accessing our support and services to assist you in your young carer role.
Our friendly and experienced staff are ready to take your call and listen to what your needs are.
It only takes 5 minutes to register to get help through our Carer Gateway services.
Young carer support from other networks
Many other organisations also offer support for young carers. You may find the below networks helpful:
- Young Carers Network
- Kids Helpline
- Children of Parents with a Mental Illness
Useful links for young carers
- Top 5 household life skills for young carers
- Are you caring for a brother or sister? 10 ways to make your life easier
- Are you student? 10 ways to make your life easier
- Dealing with stress
Carer Gateway is an Australian Government program providing free services and support for carers. Carer Gateway aims to provide the same level of support and services to all carers across Australia no matter where they live.